Friday, May 12, 2017

4.5, 5, 6 or 7 ????

My lust to own a Kitchenaid blender final came to reality.  As a young bride, the one thing missing from my trousseau was the shiny Kitchenaid.  Every few years, I would revisit the idea of owning one.  I would get caught up in the pricing, or color. My indecisiveness would end up confusing me and I would just avoid the consideration. In later years, barring baking or watching TV cooking shows, I rarely thought about it.

A recent visit to Sur la Table for a cooking class re-ignited my interest with my longing for fresh gluten free pasta.  I went into study mode after a state of confusion trying to decipher the kitchenaid codes.

Firstly, "Design" vs "Artisan" vs "Pro or Professional" series. These terms have to do with the wattage of the motor size. Thanks  "Trendy Kitchen" blog for helped me out. http://trendy-kitchen.com/artisan-vs-classic-plus-7-deal-breakers/

Professional: 600 Watt
Design: 550-575 Watt
Artisan: 325 Watt
Classic: 250 Watt
Classic Plus: 275

Other areas of difference are base sizes and bowl sizes.  The smaller 4.5 stainless steel bowl has a smaller base whereas, the larger Design series has the larger base and comes with a glass bowl.  One criticism of the 6-quart glass bowl was the bowl is so large the beaters don't touch the bottom of the bowls. This is problematic when beating just one egg. The advice from the Kitchenaid help line was to beat 3-eggs rather than one.

Bowls sizes vary from 4.5 to 7 quart.  I recommend to decide what you want to do with your blender before you make the plunge. The Kitchenaid box describes mixer sizes as to the amount of cookies one can make in a single batch such as "makes 11 dozen cookies in one bowl", or "makes 9 dozen cookies in one bowl". I don't know when I will ever get the chance to make that many cookies, but I make make a double cake or bake bread.  Even this could be a stretch with my busy schedule.

Other options to consider, when buying larger bowl size and larger motor sizes, stainless steel hooks are included. These are not dishwasher safe whereas plastic hooks are dishwasher safe.

Check online outlets such as the Kitchenaid website, Amazon, Sur la Table and of course Costco. Other outlets are Target for
the smaller size 4.5 quart bowl that comes in MANY different colors.

The attachments are my favorite part! I look forward to making ice cream, pasta and perhaps one day sausages!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment