Thursday, April 14, 2011

Your relationship with food

How much you eat?
Where you eat your food?
When you eat?
With whom do you eat?

We establish a relationship with food at a very young age and keep or create new habits.  Habitual eating can be good or bad.  Using a napkin, eating a salad and putting a fork down between bits are habits learned at a young age.  Eating in the car, on the run, and drinking soda are habits that don't benefit our greater being.

There is no judgement here, I have many bad habits that I force myself to work on, such as chewing my food.  I recently discovered that I don't like to chew my food and swallow chunks rather than creating a slurry emulsion that my small instestine requires.  My solution is to take smaller bits.  I'm generally on the run and eating alone.  The smaller bits slow down the meal. I begin to relax and change to a parasympathetic mind set.  It's the same feeling of relaxation after a few deep breaths. 

The premise of taking time to step out of the car and sit at a table was never driven home more powerfully than my between meeting prepared salad at the estuary.  The sun was setting, the birds were on the water and I noticed other people in their cars.    We were all in a hurry with little time to spare.  We ate alone rather than gathering at the one lone picnic table.  A meal should be shared with other people with conversation and hopefully laughter.  I hope your next meal is under these same conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment